“Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts before Him. God is our refuge.” — Psalm 62:8
By six-thirty on Monday morning, Daniel Mercer had already decided to lie.
It was not going to be a dramatic lie. No invented emergency. No elaborate story. Just two words.
“I’m fine.”
He knew he would say them repeatedly throughout the day.
His wife would ask how he had slept.
“I’m fine.”
His coworker would notice that he seemed distracted.
“I’m fine.”
His mother might call and ask whether everything was all right.
“I’m fine.”
Someone at church might send him a message asking how they could pray for him.
“I’m fine.”
Daniel had become skilled at those words.
They were small enough to say without much effort and strong enough to keep everyone at a safe distance.
The truth was considerably more complicated.
Daniel was afraid.
His company had been struggling for months. Rumors of layoffs had moved through the office like cold air beneath a closed door. No one could prove anything, but everyone could feel something coming.
Daniel and his wife, Claire, had recently replaced the transmission in their car. Their daughter needed braces. Their savings account was smaller than Daniel liked to admit. The mortgage payment arrived with relentless punctuality.
And now there was a meeting scheduled for nine o’clock.
Mandatory.
Human Resources would be there.
Daniel stared at the word on his phone while sitting at the kitchen table.
Mandatory.
Claire entered carrying two coffee mugs.
“You’re up early.”
“Couldn’t sleep.”
She placed a mug in front of him and sat across the table.
“You okay?”
There it was.
The invitation to tell the truth.
Daniel looked at her.
“I’m fine.”
Claire studied his face for several seconds.
She did not argue.
“All right.”
Something about the gentleness of her answer made him feel worse.
At 8:58, Daniel sat in a conference room with eleven other employees.
At 9:17, he no longer had a job.
The company was restructuring. His position had been eliminated. His manager thanked him for his years of service. Human Resources explained severance benefits. Someone mentioned career-transition resources.
Daniel heard the words but could not make them feel real.
He walked back to his desk carrying a cardboard box.
Nine years of work fit surprisingly well inside it.
A framed photograph.
Two coffee mugs.
A phone charger.
A small desk fan.
A notebook.
A plant that had somehow survived despite Daniel forgetting to water it.
His coworker Marcus stood beside him.
“Man, I’m sorry.”
Daniel nodded.
“You going to be okay?”
“I’ll be fine.”
The words came automatically.
By ten-thirty, he was sitting in his car in the parking garage with the cardboard box in the passenger seat.
He did not start the engine.
For several minutes, he simply stared through the windshield.
Then his phone buzzed.
Claire.
How did the meeting go?
Daniel typed:
Fine.
He stared at the word.
Then he deleted it.
Not great.
He deleted that too.
Finally, he turned the phone facedown.
He could not tell her yet.
Not because he did not trust her. He simply could not bear to make the situation real by saying it aloud.
So he drove.
He passed the exit toward home and continued across town without knowing exactly where he was going.
Eventually he found himself near the church where his grandfather had taken him as a child.
The building looked smaller than he remembered.
The doors were locked.
Daniel almost laughed.
“Of course.”
He returned to his car.
As he reached for the handle, he noticed a wooden bench beneath an old maple tree near the edge of the property.
He walked toward it and sat down.
The morning was cold. Traffic hummed somewhere beyond the trees. A dog barked behind a neighboring fence.
Daniel leaned forward and buried his face in his hands.
For the first time all morning, there was no one nearby to ask whether he was okay.
He was grateful.
Then a memory came unexpectedly.
His grandfather sitting beside him in church.
Daniel could almost hear the old man’s voice.
“When you don’t know what to pray, tell God the truth.”
Daniel had been perhaps twelve years old.
“What truth?”
“Whatever truth is in your heart.”
“What if it’s bad?”
His grandfather had smiled.
“Then especially that.”
Daniel sat beneath the maple tree and looked toward the locked church doors.
He had spent years thinking prayer required proper language.
Thanksgiving.
Praise.
Requests carefully arranged into respectful sentences.
But his grandfather had spoken about prayer differently.
Tell God the truth.
Daniel looked at the ground.
“All right.”
His voice sounded awkward in the empty churchyard.
“I’m scared.”
Nothing happened.
No sudden peace.
No voice from heaven.
So Daniel continued.
“I lost my job.”
His throat tightened.
“I don’t know how I’m going to tell Claire.”
He swallowed.
“I don’t know how we’re going to pay everything.”
The words began coming faster.
“I’m angry. I worked hard. I stayed late. I missed dinners. I answered emails on weekends. I gave that company nine years, and they put everything I did into a cardboard box.”
His eyes filled.
“I’m afraid Claire is going to think I failed.”
He wiped his face.
“I’m afraid my kids are going to see me differently.”
The deepest fear finally surfaced.
“I’m afraid I’m not enough.”
Daniel stopped.
There it was.
The truth beneath all the other truths.
Not the job.
Not the mortgage.
Not the bills.
Not even the uncertainty.
Somewhere along the way, Daniel had begun measuring his worth by how successfully he could keep everything under control.
Provider.
Problem solver.
Dependable husband.
Responsible father.
The person everyone could count on.
He had built an identity around being strong enough.
And now something had happened that strength could not fix before lunch.
Daniel sat silently.
Then another memory returned.
A verse his grandfather had loved.
Trust in Him at all times.
Pour out your heart before Him.
God is our refuge.
Daniel had heard those words many times, but suddenly one phrase seemed strange.
Pour out your heart.
Not organize it.
Not improve it.
Not clean it up.
Pour it out.
Daniel looked upward through the bare branches.
“I don’t know what You’re going to do.”
His voice was quieter now.
“I don’t even know what I want You to do except fix everything.”
A small laugh escaped him.
“That would be nice.”
Then he became serious.
“But I’m here.”
He opened his hands.
“I don’t know how to trust You right now.”
Another pause.
“So I guess You’ll have to teach me.”
Daniel remained on the bench for almost an hour.
Nothing around him changed.
He was still unemployed.
The mortgage still existed.
The bills still needed paying.
The future remained uncertain.
Yet something inside him had shifted.
He had stopped carrying the additional burden of pretending.
For the first time that morning, he did not feel required to be fine.
He only had to be honest.
And somehow, in the honesty, he discovered room to breathe.
When Daniel arrived home, Claire was standing in the kitchen.
She immediately knew.
“What happened?”
Daniel placed the cardboard box on the floor.
“I lost my job.”
Claire stared at him.
“Oh, Daniel.”
“I’m sorry.”
“For what?”
“For failing you.”
Her expression changed.
“You think losing your job means you failed us?”
Daniel looked away.
Claire walked across the kitchen and took his hands.
“Look at me.”
He did.
“You are my husband. You are their father. You are not your paycheck.”
Daniel’s eyes filled again.
“I’m scared.”
“So am I.”
He nodded.
For some reason, hearing her admit fear comforted him more than hearing everything would be fine.
Claire pulled out a chair.
“Sit down.”
They sat together at the kitchen table.
The same table where Daniel had said “I’m fine” only hours earlier.
This time he told her everything.
The meeting.
The severance package.
The embarrassment.
The anger.
The fear.
The bench outside the church.
His grandfather’s words.
Claire listened.
When he finished, she reached across the table.
“Can we pray?”
Daniel nodded.
Claire closed her eyes.
“God, we don’t know what happens next.”
Daniel waited for her to say something reassuring.
Instead she continued.
“We’re scared.”
He opened his eyes briefly.
Claire’s eyes remained closed.
“We need help. We need wisdom. We need work for Daniel. We need peace for our children. And we need to remember that You are still God when we don’t know what tomorrow looks like.”
Daniel closed his eyes again.
“Teach us to trust You.”
There was no miracle that afternoon.
No unexpected phone call offering Daniel a better job.
No mysterious check arriving in the mailbox.
Life simply continued.
But it continued differently.
That evening, Daniel and Claire told their children.
Their fourteen-year-old son, Caleb, became quiet.
Their eleven-year-old daughter, Sophie, asked the practical question.
“Are we going to lose the house?”
Daniel felt his old instinct rise.
He wanted to say, “Absolutely not.”
He wanted to promise something he could not guarantee.
Instead he said, “I don’t think so. We have some savings, and I’ll start looking for work tomorrow.”
Sophie nodded.
Then Daniel added, “But I want you both to know something. We’re going to trust God together.”
Caleb looked skeptical.
“Does that mean everything will work out?”
Daniel thought carefully.
“It means we won’t face whatever happens alone.”
That night, Daniel slept better than he had in weeks.
The next morning, he began applying for jobs.
Days became weeks.
Some companies never responded.
Others sent polite rejection emails.
One interview seemed promising until the company chose someone else.
Daniel learned that trust was easier to admire in Scripture than to practice on Tuesday afternoon after receiving another rejection.
Some mornings he prayed confidently.
Other mornings his prayers sounded more like complaints.
“God, I’m tired.”
“I don’t understand.”
“I thought that interview went well.”
“I’m worried again.”
“Please help.”
He gradually stopped judging his prayers by how spiritual they sounded.
He simply poured out his heart.
Three weeks after losing his job, Daniel met Marcus for coffee.
“How are you doing?” Marcus asked.
Daniel almost answered automatically.
“I’m—”
He stopped.
Marcus smiled.
“You were about to say fine.”
Daniel laughed.
“I was.”
“So?”
Daniel considered the question.
“I’m worried. Some days I’m angry. We’re cutting expenses. I’ve applied everywhere.”
Marcus nodded.
“But,” Daniel continued, “I think I’m learning something.”
“What?”
“That trusting God doesn’t mean pretending you’re not afraid.”
Marcus leaned back.
Daniel looked through the coffee-shop window.
“I used to think faith meant having confidence that everything would turn out the way I wanted.”
“And now?”
“Now I think faith might mean knowing where to go when you don’t know how anything will turn out.”
Marcus was quiet.
“Where do you go?”
Daniel smiled.
“There’s a bench.”
Six weeks later, Daniel received an offer from a smaller company.
The salary was slightly lower.
The commute was shorter.
The work was meaningful.
He accepted.
Everyone celebrated.
Yet strangely, the new job did not feel like the ending of the story.
Something more important had happened before the offer ever arrived.
Daniel had discovered refuge.
Not escape.
Refuge.
There was a difference.
Escape demanded that the trouble disappear.
Refuge meant there was somewhere safe to stand while the trouble remained.
Months later, Daniel returned to the old church.
The maple tree was covered with green leaves now.
He sat on the same bench.
Traffic still moved beyond the trees.
The dog behind the neighboring fence still barked.
Daniel smiled.
His life was not perfect.
The savings account was rebuilding slowly.
His new job had its own pressures.
Caleb was struggling in school.
Claire’s mother had recently begun having health problems.
There were new worries now.
There would always be new worries.
Daniel understood that.
He also understood something else.
Trust in Him at all times.
Not only when the answer arrived.
Not only when the job was secure.
Not only when the family was healthy.
Not only when the future looked manageable.
At all times.
Daniel bowed his head.
“God, thank You for providing.”
He paused.
Then he smiled.
“And I’m worried about Caleb.”
He talked about his son.
Then about Claire’s mother.
Then about work.
Then about money.
Then about the things he could not control.
He poured it all out.
When he finished, Daniel sat quietly beneath the tree.
He remembered how desperately he had wanted God to become a solution to his circumstances.
Instead, he had discovered God as refuge within them.
That had changed everything.
Daniel rose from the bench and walked toward his car.
His phone buzzed.
A message from Marcus.
How are you doing?
Daniel smiled.
For years, he would have typed two words.
I’m fine.
Instead he wrote:
Some things are good. Some things are hard. But God is faithful, and I’m learning to trust Him with all of it.
He pressed send.
Then he stood beside his car for another moment and looked toward the old maple tree.
There would be days when faith felt strong.
There would be days when fear returned.
There would be questions without answers, prayers that seemed unanswered, circumstances that changed without warning, and burdens too heavy to carry alone.
But Daniel knew where to go.
He did not have to hide his fear from God.
He did not have to disguise disappointment as confidence.
He did not have to transform grief into polished religious language before bringing it into prayer.
The God who called him to trust was also the God who invited him to pour out his heart.
Every fear.
Every disappointment.
Every hope.
Every question.
Every wound.
Every gratitude.
Everything.
Because refuge was not the place where Daniel had to pretend the storm did not exist.
Refuge was the place where he could finally tell the truth while the storm was still raging.
And God was there.

No comments:
Post a Comment